Thursday, January 10, 2008

Out of body experiences

There are nights when im turning off the lights in the apartment, and starting my routine preparations for bed when im struck by a thought. All of a sudden its like im finally slowing down enough to the point that reality catches up to me. All of a sudden the realization hits that im living on my own, something that hasn't been the case for 31+ years of my life. And the realization also strikes me that my father is still gone and will never come back. And those realizations act like a chill down my spine and I suddenly feel like a child who's lost and alone. After a few seconds the feeling goes away. Some nights it leaves a lingering sadness behind. I just had one tonight, and the sadness is hanging on. I think because its coming up on the 2nd anniversary of dad passing that they're lingering. Only tonights different because a new thought has struck me. I wonder if mom has moments like these and if they're any worse than mine. Sorry for the depressing post, just needed to get it off my chest.

3 comments:

GLITTERGIRL said...

posts can be depressing, no need to apologize. it's good to talk about this stuff and get it out in the open. that's how you move on and heal.

the way you described those moments of realization, i think it's interesting. to me, it shows that you're stuck back in those moments of pure panic and terror. stuff no one wants to remember. but your brain is saying, "hey, you need to get in here and clean this stuff up!"

i think you can work on being "in the moment" and work through stuff, like you've been doing. and maybe find some peace with your dad's death.

we're never going to be happy about the folks we love dying. but i think you can find some peace. your dad got to live a good life, he had friends and family who loved him, he got to know his grandkids. he had some great stuff in his life!

try reading some elizabeth kubler ross. she wrote about death & dying way before anyone else. she got people talking about it in the open. she had an amazing view on life and death, and it had a profound affect on me.

whatever you do, keep blogging!

glittermom said...

We are always someones child....

Whitey said...

Sounds... Well, not like a lot of fun. I'm sorry man.

I feel like that every now and then. Even being married, when the wife's out and I have the house all to myself, I can have a moment of exostential dred. Or when I think about my daughter, I can get that lost and alone feeling. I think it's normal.

I remember in a sociology class in college talking about humans being social beings by nature and we need that to survive. I would imagine your father was considerable more than just a social connection but I'm sure in many ways, you needed him to survive.

At any rate, that's what these outlets are for and I don't mind reading them. Even if I am an internet entity.