Saturday, October 18, 2008

Weight Watchers Day 1

Well, I attended my first weight watchers meeting today. I signed up for the monthly pass, and got weighed in at 347.2 lbs (I left my shoes on for convenience). My first goal is 10% which is 34 pounds or a weight of 313.2 . Honestly, I have no clue how long it'll take me to get down there. I don't even remember the last time I was that low. According to the book I got for my first meeting, my healthy weight is somewhere between 205 and 211 pounds. That's a whopping 140 lbs I need to lose. I have very strong doubts that I can pull that off. But it's one goal at a time, and right now, it's 34 lbs.

At first there were only about 5 other people there. But more stragglers came in over time. Not a very lively group, but the group leader Marcie seems like a really nice woman. She lost 65 pounds on the plan. The topic of discussion was discovery, related to columbus day. she had items for each letter of the word discovery for visualizing goals, etc. I'm not sure how much I'll take from the meetings, but I'm going to commit myself to going to them just for the fact that it forces me to weigh in and keeps me honest. After the meeting I stayed for the new member session, there were 5 other people there, but 3 of them had been members before, so there was only myself and an older gentleman who were really "new". We calculated our point allowances, my came out to be 47, but 44 is the maximum on the plan, so 44's my number. the main thing I learned is it's not so much trying to stay as far under your number as you can, but using your number as completely as you can. I need to eat 44 points worth of food. So as a result I've got my work cut out for me trying to find food to eat. I looked at a couple of cookbooks they had for sale, but they didn't really catch my eye. I did, however, buy a fancy digital scale that you can use to weigh items directly into points values, so I'm hoping that that will help me get a handle on those food items that don't match the online points tracker. I'm going to have to really start digging up some new foods to eat, which I knew was going to be the hardest part for me. The geek side of me likes the fact that I've got the digital scale, plus the mobile version of the ww site so I can track points and look things up on the go.

If anybody has any good recipes or cooking sites/recommendations, please send them on to me either in the comments or to my email. Any help I can get with food will be much appreciated.

4 comments:

Jen said...

i knew you'd find some cool digital gadget to help! LOL!

pita bread pizza with low fat mozzarella is good and low points from what my mom said. turkey hot dogs too.

if you find some stuff you like, you'll be able to eat larger amounts with your points at 44. you could double up on the healthy stuff that you like, ya know?

i'll go through my recipes and see what i have that's healthy & something you'd actually like. you're a fussy eater!

this is so cool and i can't wait to hear how it goes. :)

Anonymous said...

The WW cookbooks always have funky stuff in them but we have used them to get some basic ideas and tailor them to what we like. I have a more basic WW cookbook that you can borrow if you'd like. Also check out the website and the message boards, you can get lots of support there but people often post recipes and such. I feel the same way about the meetings but going to weigh in helps keep me on track.
And man, I would kill for 44 points! hehehe I'm down to only 23 a day now. booo!!! but it is nice because you go down slow in points so you get used to eating better and lower point things. I'll work on a list of good healthier options that we like and i'll email you them since i've already pretty much written a book here!!!

glittermom said...

after a while you know whats low in points and thats what you eat so you can eat more...the WW cakes and candys are really good if you need a little sweet now and then...and I always read the calorie and fat content of things at the groc store...always on the look out for low fat stuff...

Whitey said...

Yo homes, I'm totally in the market for a workout partner. I've lost 30 pounds by just exercising but I've fallen off the wagon recently and need some help getting back on.