Thursday, October 16, 2008

Admission

I'm obese. It's a big, literal and figurative, problem. And it's something that I can't control on my own. I've tried, and failed. I am hereby admitting that I need help with it. I'm going to go to a Weight Watchers meeting this weekend. If it goes well, I'll commit to a month's worth of it. I will be as open to it as I can (control freak be damned). I'm blogging this to admit to it, and hopefully as a motivation to stay up with it. I'm going to do my best to blog about my progress.

Currently, as of this morning, I'm 6'4 and weigh 342 lbs. Last time I was at the doctor's office (last week), I was 345, and he said I needed to lose 100 lbs to start.

I'm medicated for high blood pressure, esophageal reflux disorder (acid reflux), heart rhythm, and sleep apnea (pills and cpap machine). Most, if not all, of these things should get better if I'm capable of losing that much weight.

I know I'm not very physically attractive at this weight. I know that there are women who have been discouraged/bothered by weight when I've met them. Losing the weight should help with my confidence and my physical attractiveness.

My father died from heart related problems. I don't want to die the same way.

12 comments:

Jen said...

it takes a really strong person to admit they need some help. i'm proud of you!

Mojito Libre said...

Oh, he's just being a hypochondriac....

:)

Mojito Libre said...

Hey, Copax. By the way, I still highly recommend the Kettlebell training as a way to introduce some conditioning to your life. It doesn't take that much of a commitment at first - 5 to 10 minutes a day, 4 days a week and you can start off with a really low weight just to get used to it. I'm seeing some awesome results. My wife says I now have a 12 pack...which is slightly better than my Snack Pack. I hope the 6 pack will be attainable within the year. I picked mine up for pretty cheap at a fitness store in Rocky River. Target and Dick's sells them, but they are way overpriced there.

copaX said...

I actually picked up a 25lb kettlebell from Dick's, after reading about it on your blog. I used it two saturday's ago for maybe 2-3 minutes doing the squats. It took until this past weekend to walk normally again. I definitely want to keep using it. I've also got a recumbent exercise bike to help me get more cardio. I'm hoping the weight watchers can help me get the diet in a better position so I can get over the initial hump with exercise.

glittermom said...

and maybe you can meet a cute girl at W.W.....We meet a lot of nice people at our W.W. When people except the fact they need help it seems to make them a better person...

copaX said...

you're not the only one who's suggested I might meet someone at ww lol

glittermom said...

watch out it may be a set-up!

Jen said...

dude, you will totally met some cute chubby gals at the WW!

you can bond over dieting together, go on dates at appleby's (they have ww points right on their menu) discuss points over a nice glass of water.

seriously, i'm impressed.

i'm also realizing i need to find some sort of exercise that doesn't make me miserable. i might need to check out this kettlebell nonsense.....

Mojito Libre said...

I'm still getting used to working muscles I didn't know existed. GG, if you're looking for an exercise that won't make you miserable, don't look to Kettlebells. It's a very simple tool and the instructions are simple, but damn do they make you hurt. They do, however, offer the greatest benefit I've found because it's not intimidating to get into it (and it's easier when you can do it in the house with noone looking).

Chris, good job on everything. And, remember. Quitting doesn't make you a quitter, so if you don't get through it this time, don't get down on yourself. Realize that there's always another chance to do it again. Of course, that also means there's another chance to quit :)

/back to beer, for now :)

copaX said...

I did the kettlebell again last night. did more of the "swings" as they're called in the instruction manual, not "squats" like I thought, even though technically you're "squatting" while you're "swinging"

whatever.

anyways, my legs don't seem to be as sore today, but last time it took till the next day for me not to be able to walk.

Thanks for the encouragement, Mojito. Much appreciated :)

copaX said...

ok, I spoke too soon. legs are starting to scream at me whenever I stand up or sit down :-P

Mojito Libre said...

Yes, I thought the swings would be easy...totally wrong. For about a week I would walk like a robot for at least 10 paces just after getting up from my desk before my muscles would stretch out and get back to normal.

Just do a little bit at a time...what I do is 12 minutes of swings...1 to 2 min swing, 1 to 2 min jump rope, rinse, repeat for 12 minutes. twice a week. (i mix in other stuff throughout the week, though). It'll start working. Trust me.