Saturday, June 14, 2008

Hmmm….something’s not right here

CIMG0644

I got the mail this afternoon and when I looked in, I saw what looked to my bank statement.  Odd thing was…there was no envelope, it was literally just the pages of my bank statement.  and in the corner there was the postage mark.  So….yeah….somebody mailed my bank statement with no envelope so any number of people at the post office were able to see what checks I wrote and to whom.  So now I get to go into the bank monday morning and close out the account just to be safe.  the lady at the 1-800 number was pretty stunned and at first said “Well, it must’ve been somebody from the post office who opened it”  to which I replied “Yeah, I would’ve thought that too except it’s got postage on the first page of it. 

UPDATE: I went to the bank this morning, got the same kind of response that I got from the 1-800 number.  They were ready to let me walk out the door with just putting a flag on the account to check for signatures and id (which I didn’t ask but the thought crossed my mind…shouldn’t you be doing that already?)  They asked if there was anything else I’d like to do like close the account and reopen a new one, to which I replied yes.  They set me up with a new account, waived all the setup fees.  I also turned off paper statements to avoid this happening in the future.  They’ll be rushing me my new checks and debit card and hopefully I will have dodged this little identity scare bullet with only a little inconvenience.  

3 comments:

GLITTERGIRL said...

wow, that's not so good...

the other day my bro-in-law accidentally emailed me jennette's bank statement! i thought it was mine at first, with all the starbucks charges....

are you gonna stay with huntington? you should totally get a toaster or something for having to open a new acount!

Whitey said...

You should try E-Trade if you don't have any desire to actualy visit your bank. They ofer interest on checking and savings accounts and there is no minimum ballance.

Mojito Libre said...

That's actually a feature of the account. It's so you don't have to waste time opening a silly envelope.

It's kind of like at Lowe's Home Improvement. They do this security thing if you use a credit/debit. They swipe it, give you the card back, wait for you to put the card back in the wallet, then they ask you to verify the last 4 digits of the card. So, you take the card back out, look at it, read the numbers verbatim from the card (in front of everybody, btw)and the clerk does an okey-dokey and finishes the transaction. It's weird.

I wonder if they're trying to trip up that one guy that's gonna sit there and go, "You know what. This isn't my card. I stole it and I would've gotten away with it except that you asked me to read the numbers of the front of the card.

I guess security is either really lax or really dumb. I don't know which one annoys me more.